Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thing 20

Social networking sites.

I chose to explore MySpace mostly because I did not want to register on Facebook. The MySpace accounts I checked out were the library accounts listed in the blog post of "Information wants to be Free". I appreciated the insight and comments in the blog. The author, Meredith Farkas, feels libraries should not be in Facebook or Myspace unless they are there to provide a quality page that also provides a library service. A presence to only be a "friend" is of no value and perhaps even an invasion of privacy. However, I don't consider a presence of Facebook or MySpace to be private, so how can privacy be invaded. In fact, that privacy, lack of privacy, or illusion of privacy is a huge challenge for many people, especially children and teenagers. Many do not understand their page is available to everyone not just the people they think will look at it. This is one of the important roles of library/technology instruction in our schools, teaching students to recognize the potential risks, to erect appropriate boundries, and to protect their privacy.

As for the content of MySpace accounts by libraries, I was looking for items that would provide information resources through the page. One site included a homework help page, another a teen page with links to a large variety of homework helps, access to a librarian, catalog access for the library, etc. These definitly provide a positive presence for a library on the internet. A presence on the social network site that is well worth the time and effort.

As for social networks and me ... though I would explore these accounts, I am not ready to set up my own account as I have no purpose for doing so. I have no need for another "black hole" or dead account.

No comments: